Ang Kape Ni LaTtEX

Upang magising ang inaantok na kamalayan

Ang Kape Ni LaTtEX header image 2

The Philippines as an Open Pussy Country

June 4th, 2007 · 29 Comments

My wife and I had a chat with an acquaintance who works as a human resources officer in a call center. Over a few drinks last night she was telling us about the expriences she had over working in call centers, as well as some issues and open secrets of the call center world.

One topic led to another until we hit a particularly meaty issue in their office.

“Do you know the easiest way to get promoted in the office, especially for girls?” she asked.

A resounding “what?” fired off of my head, eagerly waiting for the answer, sort of having a clue.

“Flirt with the white guys” — the white guys either being executives of their own company, or more commonly, client representatives. For those not familiar with call center operations, client representatives are representatives from the company that the call center serves; usually they hold supervisorial and training positions and are in charge of recommending the best performing agents for their promotion.

“Oh Peter, you look so good today!” our friend went, mimicking a loose-sounding slut, and laughter roared out at our table.

She then goes on to tell of a case wherein a client representative’s actions became suspicious after consistently filing recommendations of promotion for a particular female agent. Her suspicions were confirmed when, over a similar drinking session with her fellow supervisors (she has a managerial position in the company) the client representative admitted to her, in drunken stupor, that he has fallen in love with the agent.

His termination process was immediately started the following day.

“Foreigners love it here because they feel like kings” she continued. “Lots of Filipinas flirt with them, ripe for their picking.”

The girls from the local church group (his aunt with which he stayed is active there) were all over him his whole stay. The way they swarmed around him (complete with, errr, flirty giggles) were tantamount to asking him to go ahead and fuck them in exchange for a “good life” in the US. My cousin eventually married a Filipina from here, but not someone who flirted with him, and that’s an entirely different story.

“One VP even told me that the Philippines was an open pussy country. I wanted to defend us Filipinas, but I couldn’t really do it because deep inside of me, I know it’s true”, and our friend brought across a message that hit hard. Real hard.

I’ve once read of a Filipina got really irritated when, in trips to the province, people ask her from which chat room she met her boyfriend, a German national. She met him from work, but whenever she gives that answer, some would insist on knowing if he met him from Yahoo! or MSN.

The nasty perceptions of foreigners notwithstanding, this issue reminds me of a very real and deep problem that Filipinos still face: a very deep insecurity compounded by the lack of pride in being Filipino or love for the country and our countrymen, plus the propensity to worship foreigners (especially Caucasians) that is deeply rooted in the Filipino psyche. I certainly don’t think any country whose citizens possess exactly that kind of psyche can progress to any significant degree.

With our drinks slowly running out, the “meatiness” of our conversation shifted into higher gear, with our friend turning it to the numerous sex video/pics scandals that plague the night-shifted BPO industry. But that’s for another post.

UPDATE: Thanks to Micheal for pointing out Cathy’s blog entry on her experiences on the issue.

Tags: Buhay · Karir at Propesyon · Kasarian · Kultura

29 responses so far ↓

• 1 Michael // Jun 4, 2007 at 1:48 pm

Are you perhaps referring to Cathy?

Foreign or ocal, if one wants to enter a secret affair at work, proceed with caution. Good or bad, I am Proud to be a Pinoy.

• 2 Jon Limjap // Jun 4, 2007 at 2:41 pm

Yes Micheal I was talking about her. Thanks :)

• 3 Bonn // Jun 11, 2007 at 10:03 pm

I’m lost in this paragraph:

“I couldn’t disagree myself — aside from the Daniel Smith vs. Nicole issue wherein Nicole did place herself in the presence of white guys regardless of whether what happened after was rape or consensual sex, I personally saw what she was talking about. Not with a white guy, but with an American born-and-bred cousin of mine.”

• 4 Jon Limjap // Jun 12, 2007 at 1:17 pm

Bonn, what I meant with that paragraph was

1.) Nicole placed herself in the presence of those white guys, without any companion, though they were strangers save for one of them. It reflects on the aforementioned culture: strike the opportunity to hook up with a white guy and you could probably get something out of it.

Apparently she got something she didn’t expect.

2.) I had an American-raised cousin who, upon his arrival here, was constantly surrounded by girls who are quite obviously flirting with him.

While it is not bad to be in the company of men from the West, there is a clear pattern in our culture where some local women tend to present themselves as “ripe for the picking” for these guys, regardless of whether the guy was looking for a partner or not.

• 5 Bonn Juego // Jun 13, 2007 at 5:55 pm

I was lost with ‘I personally saw’ kasi.

In addition to what you said, I have observed how Filipinos could be ‘racist in the sense of merely looking at a person’s colour in making prejudices and forming opinions. This is the same cultural stigma in other parts of Southeast Asia and Latin America (the morena world, or more precisely the developing countries) as regards their perception on ‘whiteness’. (Of course, racism is a universal phenomenon, if not illness, and true as well with pale peoples’ perception towards the others). For instance, a classmate of mine from Eastern Europe, I think, will have a lot of takers in the Philippines simply because he’s pale; and importantly – nay, sadly – most Filipinos ascribe being pale not only beautiful but also rich! Well, most East Europeans are poor, even poorer than many Filipinos! ;)

A lot of education must really be done. And a resolute political will in bringing about development is needed so as to end poverty.

• 6 Manuel L. Quezon III: The Daily Dose » Blog Archive » New Asian alliance // Jun 15, 2007 at 3:54 pm

[...] Ang Kape ni Lattex looks into an emerging dynamic in call centers: Filipinas getting all flirty with their foreign bosses. [...]

• 7 Jon Mariano // Jun 15, 2007 at 4:20 pm

Here in Hong Kong one term used to refer to pinays in general is “easy meat”. The same reason is true: Filipinas all easily to white guys.

• 8 sparks // Jun 19, 2007 at 11:19 am

I love your title btw. hehe.

There seems to be a disturbing phenomenon of young Filipinas on the internet asking complete strangers to marry them in order to save them from poverty. Presently I am working part-time for an online dating company here in Australia, and embarrassingly, many Filipina members are there fishing for foreign husbands. :(

• 9 Tyrone // Jun 19, 2007 at 8:30 pm

Honestly, it would have been a great read… until you injected that ignorant remark about blaming the victim in rape cases.

[quote]Nicole placed herself in the presence of those white guys, without any companion… It reflects on the aforementioned culture: strike the opportunity to hook up with a white guy and you could probably get something out of it.

Apparently she got something she didn’t expect.[/quote]

So you are assuming that your opinion about her motives is a fact? You are also assuming that she did not have a companion? Are you also saying that girls who hook up with white guys in bars can be fair game and raped guilt-free?

Maybe you should read up on the facts before you form an opinion.

• 10 Jon Limjap // Jun 21, 2007 at 12:47 pm

Tyrone,

I knew someone would react to that.

I do not contest the fact that she was raped, nor do I imply that anybody (whether white, male or otherwise) can rape because “the opportunity is there”. No person in their right mind would deem any woman “rapeable” given any criteria. Even a prostitute has the right to accuse rape, even if most people would dismiss their credibility.

I am not assuming her motives as fact; it is an opinion as much as this whole post is an opinion. And if my opinion is proven flawed, I’ll be happy to acknowledge that.

• 11 Jon Limjap // Jun 21, 2007 at 4:14 pm

sparks,

Sad ‘no? Pero I am curious as to how these relationships are turning out. Is the woman really happy about it? Do they become miserable? Will they admit that? How about the guy? Is he happy considering he knows what the bottomline motive of the woman with him is? Or is that okay?

Can’t help but wonder.

• 12 Tyrone // Jun 26, 2007 at 11:36 am

[quote]However, the whole point of my post is how many Filipinas *do* present themselves as fair game to western men. And Nicole appears to me as such.[/quote]

If you believe that Nicole, wholly or in part, was to blame for what happened to her, then state it clearly. So, do you blame her? Was it partly or wholly her fault? Or are you willing to say that she was not at fault whatsoever?

The court apparently believed, and so do legal jurisprudence, that rape victims WERE NEVER AT FAULT for what happened to them. The Nicole case cannot be used as an example to shore up your opinion that some girls, like the choir group you mentioned in the same breath as Nicole, were just “asking for it.”

Nicole and her companion went to a bar to have some fun. They met a group of men. She got drunk. They brought her along. They carried her inside the van. Forced sex happened. They dumped her afterwards in the parking lot.

If you dispute any of the legal facts above, then you profess to be smarter than the court that reviewed the evidence firsthand and decided that rape had indeed happened. If that is your opinion of your capabilities, then fine.

You seem to be internet savvy. It is therefore doubly sad that you did not even bother to google news articles about the court case, and instead relied on popular hearsay and gossip.

• 13 Jon Limjap // Jun 26, 2007 at 2:03 pm

Tyrone,

What part of

“I do not contest the fact that she was raped, nor do I imply that anybody (whether white, male or otherwise) can rape because “the opportunity is there”

do you not understand?

Consequently, what part of

“However, the whole point of my post is how many Filipinas *do* present themselves as fair game to western men.”

do you not understand?

Yes I have read my news articles, and to my understanding Nicole was already in the company of Lance Corporal Daniel Smith et al even before she was drunk.

Correct me if I am wrong; I will gladly stand corrected.

I NEVER contested the findings of the court anywhere in my post and comments, nor did I ever argue the definition of rape. If you continue insisting that I did, then your insistence on discussing the nuances of rape is NOT welcome here.

• 14 Prudence // Jun 30, 2007 at 2:14 am

I do think that my theory regarding “anonymous” commenters makes sense: Usually those who leave scathing comments would rarely leave info traceable to their real identities. Haha.

Some people do tend to be sensitive about certain issues.

• 15 Jon Limjap // Jun 30, 2007 at 8:32 am

Prudence,

I know. And that’s why I deeply respect dissenting thinkers who do identify themselves.

• 16 Rowena // Jul 2, 2007 at 8:53 pm

hi. this is my 1st visit to your site. got here thru connie’s blog. just want to add something, i knew someone who got hooked on drugs (ecstasy pills) when she’s still working in BPO’s. she said their foreign boss gave them the pills. this should be looked at very extensively& investigated in call centers. in fact, ive reported it already to pdea. kaawa- awang mga agents…

• 17 r.o. // Jul 5, 2007 at 10:22 am

in my haste, i missed this meaty part:

“While it isn’t necessarily true for all Filipinas, and I personally know a lot of foreigner-Filipina relationships that were borne out of true love and friendship, it doesn’t help either that many Filipinas do in fact loosen up too much when around men from western countries. Problem is, this perception erodes the credibility of those with genuine relationships. In some countries, Filipina wives are sometimes looked upon as mail-order brides, while some local Filipinas, envious on another for “catching” a white guy, often asks the latter to hook her up with the guy’s friends.”

• 18 The Unlawyer » BFAD Bans Formaldehyde-Laced Chinese Food // Jul 18, 2007 at 5:07 pm

[...] Ang Kape Ni LaTtEX exposes some open secrets of the call center world. [...]

• 19 torn // Jul 20, 2007 at 12:50 pm

I’ve never really played the dating game in the Philippines, but I don’t have the impression that Filipinas are particularly promiscuous. Nor in general are they as avaricious as some Asian women are rumored to be. When you get the combination of circumstances that exist here—extreme poverty, lack of economic opportunities, and, yes, a bit of a colonial mentality—circumstances such as those you describe become almost inevitable.

Having said that, there definitely seem to be some Filipina scammers around. My sister works in a travel agency in the UK and got involved with the story of a British widower (a real Lord, believe it or not) who met a girl in an internet chat room and came over here. The scenario was pretty much as you might imagine — the girl shows up with half her family expecting to be housed and fed, she demanded a trip to Hong Kong, and the Lord kept getting hit for expenses such as harvesting costs back in the province. Luckily for the Lord, my sister injecting a bit of sanity into his boundless generosity and eventually realized that this girl had a large number of other internet contacts that she kept stringing along. Still he must have liked it here, because he eventually settled down with the receptionist in the hotel he was staying at while going through this experience (no news on the openness or otherwise of her pussy though).

• 20 Jon Limjap // Jul 20, 2007 at 1:07 pm

torn

“extreme poverty, lack of economic opportunities, and, yes, a bit of a colonial mentality—circumstances such as those you describe become almost inevitable”

Perhaps they are mere victims of circumstance, but to see one’s self as a mere victim of circumstance is, I believe, part of the overall problem.

Poor bloke that Lord… hopefully the girl he eventually went for loved him sincerely. I wonder what happened to the other girl though… :)

• 21 Plaridel Today // Oct 8, 2007 at 3:24 pm

Sadly, this perception is very unfair to Filipinas. However, it should be noted that sexual stereotyping goes on all over the world and between and within all kinds of cultures. Tthe phrase “Swedish blonde,” for example, has connotations that go far beyond the merely descriptive in an Anglo-American context. In Japan, party girls are derisively called “Yellow Cabs,” for their alleged penchant for picking up foreign “passengers.” In general, across cultures, “Northerners” are considered sexually restrained while “Southerners” are often viewed as sexually relaxed. And so forth. In addition, there is this whole business of sex-to-sex and boss-to-employee power relationships that exists everywhere. Just look at the number of American sitcoms where this crops up. There is also the undeniable lure of the exotic (i.e. interracial dating), which, frankly speaking, is merely a human trait. Finally, since I am Pinoy, one last observation. We do have a tendency as a people to overdramatize and self-flagellate. While I am not advocating self-censorship, can we please have a little collective sangfroid? Honesty does not mean that we make a soap opera out of every problem. Stiff upper lip and all that sort of thing, eh?

• 22 Antonio // Oct 11, 2007 at 12:50 pm

Well that means we Pinoy guys should start snagging some more foreign pussy!!! Let alone when a bride shortage starts happening…

• 23 Ato Kenny // Nov 11, 2007 at 11:34 pm

The pinay who flirts and catches a husband not for love’s sake but for financial improvement becomes a heroine to the family. She is a “savior.” What better feeling can one wish than being a “martyr” to the family? And, a martyr wearing Prada! (Tama ba yong spelling ko? P-r-a-d-a?)

• 24 Jon Limjap // Nov 12, 2007 at 4:46 am

Ato,

Oo, tama ang iyong spelling. Hehehe.

• 25 You Won the Lottery? Here’s Some Advice | Basapa // Apr 9, 2008 at 11:06 am

[...] we live in a country, where some deemed it fit to equate a Filipina marrying a caucasian male as some sort of semi-jackpot, prompting some relatives to line up to her [...]

• 26 Dan Barfield // Dec 24, 2008 at 2:01 am

I really object to the Philippines being referred to as an “open pussy” country, although I do understand why. Just as I object to all of the sexual websites that exploit young Filipinas and give rise to such an implication.
    you see, I am a “Kano” married to a Filipina and such things cheapen our marriage in the eyes of many people. And yes, we met on a chat site. And yes, she is much younger than I. But we chatted, emailed, and telephoned for over a year before I could save enough money to visit the R.P. Then almost another year before I could save enough money to have her come to the States……I am not rich!

We have had our ups and downs these few years, as all couples do.Everyone siad that she will leave me when she gets her “green card.” Then they said she will leave me when she gets her citizenship. I am still not rich and we both work.She has her green card and her citizenship. And we are still together simply because we love each other, respect each other, and are happy together.
    However, the only thorn is her relatives who are never in contact except when they need/want money. They treat her like an ATM machine, which hurts her and infuriates me!

• 27 Jon Limjap // Dec 24, 2008 at 6:09 pm

Dan,

I know a lot of relationships exactly like yours; Filipinas married to white guys, wherein there is a real, fruitful and meaningful relationship, yet looked down upon by various people. It’s really unfair that they said those things about her — as far as I know, even for dating-site type relationships, most Filipinas tended to be faithful and stuck it out with their husbands.

Of course there will still be bad eggs in the basket, and there are cases wherein Filipina women scammed their white husbands.

The way your wife’s relatives treat her is, indeed, deplorable, but an unfortunate idiosyncrasy of our culture is having “luckier” members of the family support the “less fortunate” ones, which sadly only leads to mendicancy and a lost sense of responsibility.

• 28 john // Nov 17, 2009 at 8:41 pm

filipina women are the best in the world in my opinion. they will love a guy, if you treat them right and are nice to them

it just takes time, but overtime most filipina women will really love u if you are a guy who respects and appreciates them.

they will take care of your emotional and physical needs.

i think any man who is nice to a filipina will have the best of luck

but especially foreign men in the philippines, no matter what color of the skin

• 29 stoneybert // Feb 27, 2010 at 5:04 pm

ang sagwa kc sa mga pinoy pag nakaapak sa bayan ng puti o kahit saan mang bansa ay ipokrito, tagalugin mo english isasagot…pag talo sa casino saka mag tatagalog… we travel to become slaves,,they travel to tour……thats the hard truth